There's a popular (and probably exclusively) guatemalan expression: deplano or de plano; meaning probably or surely, analogue to seguramente.

Example (provided for completion purposes):

-¿Dónde está Juan?
-Deplano se fue a comer.

Now, this might be a too colloquial or informal word to have its own official spelling, but I still wonder if there is a "proper" way to write it. My gut tells me it should be written as a single word, but it's easy to get orthography wrong.

Also, if you know of other places where it's said, please comment!

• Debería ser de plano, una preposión y un sustantivo y entre ellos un espacio. Quizás ud. lo escucha muy rápido y por eso uno creería que debe escribirse unida la expresión. – David Oct 18 '14 at 23:54

It's an adverbial phrase written as two words. It's somewhat recognized in the DRAE, via the judicial sense of de plano meaning "Que se adopta inmediatamente y sin trámites" (plano. de plano. 3.) which was likely picked up and used more colloquially, converting it from an adjective phrase to an adverbial along the way.

| improve this answer | |

As @David explains in his comment it is written de plano.It is not written as a single word.

It means directly, going straight to the point.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.