Su obra y su personalidad le situaron pronto a la cabeza del grupo.

Why don't you use the imperfect tense for the verb situar?

• Key word here is "pronto", which implies a single action. Take it out and both situaron and situaban work perfectly well. – user0721090601 Sep 20 '14 at 21:38
  • @guifa pronto means soon. How does soon imply a single action? – user5482 Sep 20 '14 at 22:54

I don't like the "trigger" word schemes for making grammar choices. In this case, think of the promotion. It happened once. It's not an ongoing process, but a once-and-done action, or "event". That makes preterite a perfect fit.

• how do you know that the action happened once? – user5482 Sep 20 '14 at 23:17
  • I'm sensing it from context. Besides, "head" of a group is superlative; can't repeat it. – Pesta Sep 21 '14 at 0:23
  • who would repeat it? do you mean someone else repeats it or the person i'm talking about repeats it? – user5482 Sep 21 '14 at 0:31
  • @guifa why can't superlatives be repeated? What if I take over the group and kick that person out and become head of the group? Then can't I repeat the action? – user5482 Sep 21 '14 at 2:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy