I've seen this on a website selling land:

120 HECTAREAS DE LAVOR 60 DE PASTOS Y RESTO DEHEZA

(It is possible this may be Andaluz - a word used locally in Andalusia)

Without a doubt it is a misspelling of labor. Within this context, labor is related to this definition from the DRAE:

labor 4. f. Labranza, en especial la de las tierras que se siembran. Apl. a las demás operaciones agrícolas, u. m. en pl.

In other words, it's farmland/land for agriculture that's already been divided into pasto and dehesa (note the s is the correct spelling). Of course, my understanding is that pasto is a type of dehesa so I'm not totally sure the distinction he's making but I'm not an agriculture guy either.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks - that's a well reasoned answer that makes sense. My understanding was that pasto is pasture whereas dehesa is land without anything growing or constructed on it. – Playability Sep 16 '14 at 11:35
  • @Playability Remember than labor comes from Latin laborare that was the verb to say work, that in Spanish was substituted by trabajar meanwhile laborar still means to work but has a more formal meaning, bun in the other hand it evoluted and gave place to many works about work but in agriculture. – Aradnix Sep 16 '14 at 17:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.