I'm currently writing an essay on the film Che, and I mention how it begins with the landing of Che and other revolutionaries in Cuba. However, I cannot find a proper translation of "landing" with respect to this context, only aterrizaje, which is used for plane landings I believe.

Could anyone give me a suitable translation for this word, or any alternatives?

  • What is the context?
    – Rosenthal
    Aug 26, 2014 at 21:23
  • @syrux el se esta refiriendo al desembarco del Granma. Aug 26, 2014 at 22:47

4 Answers 4


I would simply use "la llegada", if "it begins with the landing of Che and other revolutionaries in Cuba" is the actual sentence you want to translate.


In the context of that specific moment when you arrive to some place on a boat or yacht the word would be:


to refer to the Desembarco del Granma

Granma is the name of the yacht in which Fidel Castro, Che Guevara, Raúl Castro, and 79 of their supporters sailed from Mexico to Cuba in 1956 and incited the Cuban Revolution in 1959.

I'm Cuban.


la llegada would be the proper translation, since it's an essay, I would use a more formal approach and go with el arribo.

  • 1
    "El arrivo" is wrong spelling. You mean "el arribo". I'd choose "El desembarco" however. Aug 27, 2014 at 2:31
  • Completely right @betacentauri , I keep messing up thinking of "arrive", good catch.
    – gmslzr
    Aug 27, 2014 at 14:13

I think there are some different possible translations:

  • Desembarco, when it refers to a boat or sea ship

  • Amerizaje, when it refers to any kind of ship

  • Arribo, in case it's not actually a ship or vehicle which has came

  • Amerizaje is used when an aircraft lands on water (i.e. a seaplane) not when somebody lands from a boat in water into land. Similarly Alunizaje for a spacecraft landing on the moon
    – deStrangis
    Sep 1, 2014 at 11:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.