I recently went to Panama and we had 4 flat tires within 2 weeks. I'm still confused how to properly ask for a repair shop which fixes tires. Can you clarify?

I would prefer answers not only for Panama but also for middle/south America.

There is:

  • la llanta - Tire in middle america?
  • la rueda - Tire everywhere else?
  • el llantero - The guy/place who only fixes tires (valid everywhere?)?
  • el taller (mecanico) - General repair shop?


  • Donde esta el proximo llantero?
  • Donde se puede reparar (zurcir?) las llantas?



I use neumático personally (Spain Spanish) and along with llanta those two are the most common words. According to the Wiki article on neumático, you'll also hear cubierta, goma, or caucho in other countries, but it does point out that llanta is the most common in Central America.

Taller mecánico to me is pretty much exclusively automotive-type repair (again, Spain Spanish), but apart from adding in farm equipment repair (or similar), I can't imagine anyone in the Spanish-speaking world not understanding what you mean with by that, especially if you've already given the context of a busted tire. Also, from looking on-line, it seems that taller automotriz is used and even often in conjunction with the former as taller de mecánica automatriz.

Reparar works just fine for tires and greatly prefered over arreglar and a quick search found not much evidence for using zurcir (someone will doubtlessly point out in the comments if they've heard it)

So some possible questions that'd be pretty universally understood (again someone will point out in comments if not) would be:

  • ¿Dónde está (o queda) el taller mecánico más cercano? (following Emilio Gort's format)
  • ¿Dónde se puede reparar una llanta pinchada?
  • ¿Sabe(´s/s) dónde hay un taller mecánico? Mi llanta está pinchada.

Make sure to add in pinchada — that way even if llanta is used for something else like the rims, you'll give more than sufficient context to be understood.

  • And think it must be worth adding rueda, as is the coloquial and most common word to say in Spain over neumático or llanta, in my opinion. – SysDragon Jul 17 '14 at 10:56

In some places you said:


¿Dónde está la vulcanizadora? Or ¿Dónde puedo reparar la llanta del auto?

All people will understand the second one.


En Cuba nosotros llamamos a ese lugar para arreglar las gomas o llantas cuando se pinchan o ponchan:


Y por lo general es entendido en todos lados, por lo menos en Colombia, Mexico y Miami me han entendido.

Podrías decir:

¿Dónde queda/está la ponchera más cercana?



In northern Mexico (Specifically Chihuahua), the usual way to call tire repairing places is desponchado (if you look it up in google, most results you'll find are from Chihuahua), however vulcanizadora would be understood as well (but it's not very used).


Here, in Chile, we say:

¿Dónde se arreglan neumáticos?


¿Dónde se arreglan ruedas?

The place is called taller de neumáticos.


This seems to be very regional.

The place is called gomería in Argentina, as the tires are sometimes referred to as gomas, a term which, by the way, can also refer to a woman's breasts, so you can call them neumáticos instead if you want (that is the more technical term, which you'd use to buy them online, for example)

¿Dónde hay una gomería?

Would be the easiest way to ask.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.