This question on English.StackExchange made me wonder about words for rain in Spanish. In English, a light rain can be a drizzle, sprinkle, or mist and a heavy rain can be a deluge, downpour, or pouring rain.

What similar words in Spanish are used to describe different types of rainfall?

4 Answers 4

Click the nouns to view the definition on the RAE:

• Llovizna: the correspondent for "drizzle", a "weak" rain;
  • Aguacero: abundant, sudden rain, that lasts for a short time;
  • Chubasco: like "downpour", same as aguacero and chaparrón;
  • Chaparrón: "tough" rain that lasts for a short time;
  • Diluvio: Very strong rain, or "flood";

See this page on Spanish.about.com for more weather-related terms.

diluvio literally means deluge.
    – vartec
    Dec 2, 2011 at 9:49
    Two words for llovizna: calabobos (literally, fool-drencher, because it looks like it's raining just a little bit, but you end up completely wet) and sirimiri (used in the Basque Country)
    – MikMik
    Dec 29, 2011 at 9:48
  • I had forgotten jarrear for "to rain heavily". Also, "caer chuzos" or "caer chuzos de punta".
    – MikMik
    Dec 29, 2011 at 12:07
  • Does anyone know what ‘está sisniendo’ means in this context? I suspect mis-spelling on the part of the person who wrote it to me; he explained he meant ‘lloviendo suave’ but I haven’t been able to track down what ‘sisniendo’ might actually be. He’s Cuban, if that helps
    – Traveller
    Oct 4, 2020 at 15:32

Two colloquial phrases from Costa Rica I recently learned from spanishpod101 are related to this:

Son pelitos de gato nada mas

Translates to: "It's just little cat hairs". Meaning it's only light rain/drizzle

San Pedro esta corriendo los muebles

Translates to "St Peter is moving the furniture around". Meaning there is a big storm.

Here is the link to the podcast: http://www.spanishpod101.com/2008/06/10/regional-spanish-series-61-costa-rican-18-st-peters-moving-the-furniture/

Please note: I am not specifically intending to promote this website. If anyone feels it is not appropriate to link to sites like this, please let me know.

For light rain 'chispeando' (from 'chispa' = spark) can be used, altho I think it's probably more slang than an actual word.

Here are a couple more:

chipi chipi (Mexico): a faint drizzle; example: --¿Está lloviendo? --Nomás está chipi chipi.

neblina: mist

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.