I've been reading Spanish Dilbert comics here

The sentences I don't understand, I've been typing and entering into translate.com.

For the phrase: "¿Has visto el sujetador de corbata que me dieron por 20 años de servicio?", it translated: "Have you seen the bra tie I got for 20 years of service?"

Is there really such a thing as a "bra tie"? Or does "sujetador de corbata" mean a "clip-on tie" or what?

  • 2
    I voted closed because automatic translators generate lot of nonsense. You would have a question to clarify mistakes generated by the unability of computers to correctly translate.
    – c.p.
    Commented Apr 29, 2014 at 20:50

2 Answers 2


It's not a clip-on tie, but a tie clip. Google images gives you a good clue in this case.

bra tie is a clear case of bad automatic word by word translation.

  • Alfiler de corbata would IMHO definitely be the correct translation, as suggested in the other answer.
    – deStrangis
    Commented Apr 29, 2014 at 12:47
  • @deStrangis the question was not about translating tie clip to Spanish, but to translate sujetador de corbata to English. Anyway, I don't think there is a "correct" term in Spanish, as there are regional variations. In Argentina it would be called sujeta corbatas.
    – rsanchez
    Commented Apr 29, 2014 at 12:55

I don't know if sujetador de corbata is the right term, but it might be since in each country it might be called different. I think it refers to a tie clip. In Spain it is usually called pasador de corbata o clip de corbata. Also alfiler de corbata might be used, although I am not sure if it might be a slightly different complement to hold the tie in place clipping it to the shirt.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.