I like watching videos to learn and I used to watch a show from Spain but the Spanish in this video (http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VPGo3t5qTZ4) seems different somehow. What kind is it? And, is this dialect particular to a country?

2 Answers 2

It is not a dialect. It is Spanish with mexican accent. It seems to be an episode of a Mexican TV show.

• So, it uses the same vocabulary as Spain? Some words sound different than a show in Madrid I watched. They use different words for general stuff like goodbye etc. I think..
    – verve
    Mar 22, 2014 at 14:56
  • @verve no, it doesn't. For instance, vale is mostly used in Spain, as are lots of other terms.
    – c.p.
    Mar 22, 2014 at 16:42
    It's the same as other languanges, for example english, you can note diferences between usa, jamaica, australia, brithish, etc Mar 22, 2014 at 18:23
  • Do Madrid and Mexico pronounce the same words differently though?
    – verve
    Mar 23, 2014 at 20:27
  • @verve Different countries pronounce different phonemes differently. For example, in most of Central and South America, as far as I know, the "soft" C sound (not the K sound) is pronounced as if it were an "S". For example, for the word "cocido" a spaniard would say something like "kozido", whereas a mexican would pronounce "kosido". Did I explain that somewhat properly?
    – pHonta
    Mar 24, 2014 at 0:50

It's Mexican Spanish. It's no more a dialect than Irish English or Swedish German. If you want to know more, Wikipedia has excellent articles on regional variations of spanish. I'm particularly fond of this one.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.