I realise there are many words for different musical groups at carnivals,fiestas and processions. I want to write a piece about this music culture in Spain in particular. The fact is a quick glance online reveals many words to describe them.

Rondallas,Charangas,Comparsas(maybe that is more Latin American),Estudiantinas(university musical groups ,I think),and Chirimbolos.

I am sure there are more in Spain. What I really want are a few general terms that cover any such events other than words like ''bandas y agrupaciones musicales''. Can I get some suggestions? Perhaps, the above are regional.

I know the Semana Santa processions have different terms in that culture, like singing the ''saetas'' during the ''pasos''. Maybe ,they are simply called ''coros''. I know the ''hermandades'' oversee it all and there are Nazarenos who are not involved in the music.

• Are you perhaps looking for a term like "fiestas populares"?
    – Gustavson
    Commented Mar 30 at 16:29
  • @Gustavson. No,just I believe there are terms for the individual music groups and I am looking for a few that cover most events. I think there was one I heard of that starts with C but I can't remember it.
    – Bluelion7
    Commented Mar 30 at 18:51

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.