I am but a humble beginner in speaking Spanish. No hablo muy bien español.

I equate this new language to a programming language, in which I'm fluent in four and know very well seven.

To understand a programming language, I learn it from a framework-first, words/phrases second approach. I am teaching myself Spanish in the same way.

Today, I researched and documented the nine parts of speech, and while I was working on adverbs, I learned one can make an adverb from an adjective (so long as the adjective can describe an action).

I learned that adding "mente" to an acceptable adjective makes it an adverb. So the adjective "fácil" + "mente" becomes the adverb "fácilmente" (easily).

That said, my question is thus:

Is every word that ends with "mente" this type of adjective compound?

• In principle the answer is YES but just replace "every" by "every that I can think off right now". You know that human languages share with programming languages that they may have unexpected exceptions.
    – RubioRic
    Commented Mar 26 at 9:57
  • The big difference between computer languages and natural languages is that natural languages are best learned by informal immersion into the culture while programming languages are best learned by a designed learning process, at least at the beinning. Commented Mar 26 at 10:32

1 Answer 1

Only adjectives in feminine form adverbs if "mente" is added to them. "Fácil" has the same form in masculine and feminine but, if different, the feminine will be used:

• rápido - rápidamente
  • lento - lentamente
  • severo - severamente
  • inesperado - inesperadamente

There are a few words that happen to end in "mente" and are not adverbs, like the second person singular imperative and third person singular present subjunctive of verbs ending in "mentar":

• lamentar - lamente
  • comentar - comente
  • alimentar - alimente
  • fomentar - fomente
  • fragmentar - fragmente
  • atormentar - atormente
  • implementar - implemente
  • instrumentar - instrumente
  • argumentar - argumente
  • fermentar - fermente
  • cementar - cemente
  • ornamentar - ornamente
  • pigmentar - pigmente
  • reglamentar - reglamente
  • aumentar - aumente
  • segmentar - segmente

And some others like:

• demente
  • vehemente
  • clemente

which are adjectives.

Buena búsqueda de palabras que no son adverbios!
    – RubioRic
    Commented Mar 26 at 13:17
    Note that "vehementemente" is a valid adverb.
    – aerobiomat
    Commented Mar 26 at 16:18
    As are "dementemente" and "clementemente"
    – Gustavson
    Commented Mar 26 at 16:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.