I have been to a few stores and restaurants in the US where all employees and most customers are Spanish speakers. As I wait in line, I overhear that all the transactions are in Spanish. When it's my turn and before I say anything, I am initially greeted in English. Since I haven't said anything yet, I know it's not my accent that gave me away as a native English speaker. Are there any other factors like body language or dress that indicate one's first language?

I used to wonder why people in European countries addressed me in English as I did not think I looked stereotypically English. Then I went to the north of Italy and if I did not reply immediately in Italian they switched to German. They are just guessing the most likely language you might speak.
    – mdewey
    Commented Mar 2 at 13:20
    Es muy probable que no tenga "cara de hispano." ¡Una vez en España un taxista me saludó en alemán! Trabajando cerca de la frontera canadiense, no sé cómo, pero reconocía a todos los clientes de habla francés por su ropa.
    – K Man
    Commented Mar 3 at 2:21
    eso son los estereotipos
    – alvalongo
    Commented Mar 6 at 20:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.