In English it's quite easy to do this — you simply add a to in front of the noun and you suddenly have a verb. Add a y and you have an adjective.

For example:

fox -> to fox -> foxy

What does to fox mean? I don't know, but it works linguisticly and invites you to play with language.

How do you do this in Spanish? For example with búho?

I know that this is a Spanish language forum, but I can't resist referencing the cartoon Calvin and Hobbes which has the classic line "Verbing weirds language" /s
    – Peter M
    Commented Feb 17 at 15:40

1 Answer 1

In English it is not always the case that, by just adding "to" or using a noun as a verb, you get a verb. For example, you don't say "to revolution" but "to revolutionIZE". Nor is it always the case that the result will be a meaningful verb.

However, we do come across cases in Spanish where, by just adding the ending, or changing it to "-ar", "-er", "-ir", we get a verb. The noun and the verb are two different words, that is, we do not, from a lexical point of view, necessarily consider one to derive from the other:

• brillo (brightness) / brillar (to shine)
  • temor (fear) / temer (to be afraid)
  • suba (increase) / subir (to rise)

In Spanish, noun-to-verb transformations will always require the addition of a suffix at the end. We don't have a verb for "búho", but we do have one for "lechuza", at least in River Plate Spanish, which is "lechucear", used to refer to a way of watching similar to that of owls. It is also used to mean "wish somebody bad luck".

Here is a list of Spanish suffixes. The most productive suffix to convert nouns into verbs is:

-ear: agujero (hole) -> agujerear (make a hole) / gol (goal) -> golear (score a goal)

Another conversion process involves the addition of a prefix (as well as the verbal suffix -ecer), either to a noun or an adjective, for example:

• orgullo (pride) / enorgullecer (make sb proud)
  • rico (rich) / enriquecer (make sb or sth richer)
    I'd say adding -ear is by far the most common and acceptable way to create a verb out of just about any word that doesn't have one. Especially if it's just spoken. Commented Feb 20 at 20:51
  • Golear is a regular verb, but it usually means one team scored a lot of goles against the other team, and not to score a goal. El Bayern goleó al Barcelona 8 a 2.
    – jachguate
    Commented May 18 at 5:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.