These two nouns seem synonymous for "the outskirts" or "the surrounding areas", but I have no idea when I would choose one over the other. Are there any nuanced differences?

• They are not synonymous. Please post a definition from a good dictionary.
    – Lambie
    Commented Oct 30, 2023 at 16:38

1 Answer 1

In Spain "alrededores" is more used than "contornos" (in fact I have never heard it to refer the surrounding areas, it is more used as a geometrical concept).

Other words that are commonly used for that meaning are the following ones:

• El "extrarradio" de Barcelona incluye poblaciones como Badalona, L`Hospitalet, . . .
  • En las cercanías" del pueblo se encuentran las huertas de los propietarios.
  • En los suburbios de Madrid se puede ver el efecto de la crisis (surrounding areas related with poverty, also it is used arrabal).
  • He estado en los "aledaños" del estadio (more used for the close area of a certain place).
  • contornos and alrededores are different and the first does not mean neighborhood or surroundings of a place.
    – Lambie
    Commented Oct 30, 2023 at 16:37
  • Hi @Lambie! The first acceptation of "contorno" says "Territorio o conjunto de parajes de que está rodeado un lugar o una población" [rae.es/drae2001/contorno]
    – R18
    Commented Oct 31, 2023 at 8:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.