I've often seen young tequila referred to as blanco tequila or tequila blanco. It appears on the labels of bottles so I would assume the manufacturer would have made sure of the grammar. I would have thought it should be blanca given an adjective should match the noun. There are three types of tequila: blanco/a, reposado, and añejo. Is it because blanco refers to a type of tequila and not the color that blanco is used or is the usage just incorrect?

2 Answers 2

After posting the question, it occurred to me that tequila may be a masculine noun. I looked it up and verified that was the case.

• Rectissimo, es el tequila; es decir es masculino y por lo tanto lo correcto es blanco. Ya podés marcarlo como resuelto
    – tac
    Aug 26, 2023 at 1:38

Tequila is a word with masculine genre since is a type of drink (also masculine). And it means white since the first distillation from agave w=gives you a high alcohol content and no color due to the containers for aging, having the names REPOSADO or AÑEJO

Are all drinks really masculine? Cerveza, agua for instance.
    – mdewey
    Oct 20, 2023 at 11:27
  • I recently spoke to a native Spanish about this. She told me almost all drinks are masculine
    – curt
    Oct 21, 2023 at 5:49
  • Margarita is feminine, but you'll probablly ask for "un tequila Margarita" that will make it masculine again. La cachaza (cachaça) is feminine but it's borrowed from Portuguese... Good question Oct 23, 2023 at 21:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.