I sent a video of people swimming in flood waters to my Spanish speaking language learning partner, to which she responded

No le tienen miedo a la muerte.

The le in this sentence confused me, so I asked

Does "le" mean "la muerte"?

The way I was thinking of it was that "le" meant "it" but because it's not clear what "it" is we clarified by adding "la muerte"

But she responded

No, "le" se refiere a ellos

But I'm still confused.

UPDATE: Would it be fine to just say

No tienen miedo a la muerte

?

1 Answer 1

"Le" refers to "la muerte". This is a case of "redundant indirect object pronoun", as explained here. The indirect object pronoun "le/les" is often used even though the indirect object is explicitly mentioned, leading to a duplicate indirect pronoun in many sentences.

"Le" of course does not refer to "ellos" for three reasons:

• "ellos" is the subject
  • for "ellos" one would have to use "les", not "le"
  • if you change the subject to first person singular, "no le tengo miedo a la muerte" also uses "le" and not "me". If you change the indirect object, "no te tienen miedo a ti", the pronoun changes. So the pronoun refers to the indirect object.

And yes, omitting the pronoun and saying "no tienen miedo a la muerte" is also correct, because the pronoun is optional if the explicit indirect object is a thing and appears after the verb (see the linked explanation).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.