Hoy es el día que haré que se enamore de mí.

Here I literally can't understand a thing. Why there are two “que”?

hoy - today
es - is
el día - the day
que - that
haré - I will
que se enamore de mí: - ??

I would really appreciate your help.

• From personal experience "hacer" is one of the weird verbs where the future tense is irregular
    – M__
    Jul 31, 2023 at 9:05
  • Actually, haré means I will make.
    – Gorpik
    Aug 1, 2023 at 11:41

2 Answers 2

One way to understand the whole sentence is by adding all the parts:

Hoy es el día que yo haré que (ella/él) se enamore de mí

• Today is the day that (I will) make that (she/he) fall in love with me

I am not a native speak by any means, but the statement causing confusion ...

que se enamore de mí

... is a reflexive verb, where the action can be applied to oneself and here se is for he/she. For example, if I fall in love, I'm "applying" an action/feeling to myself. This class of verb is suffixed with se, hence enamorarse. Google might mistake it for the irregular form of the infinitive "saber" (but that is sé not se). The verb can be used as both reflexive (to fall in love) and standard (to romantically love).

enamorarse de mí

Is another way of writing this, but it doesn't seem to be used often. Well enamorarse isn't used often, but preocuparse is very common. The verb enamorarse must a have verb + de and prevents the following from being correct.

se enamore conmigo

The above is naturally how I'd write this, but its wrong.

Emm no, la construcción ‘se enamore conmigo’ también es correcta. ¿De dónde sacaste que ‘de’ tiene que seguir al verbo reflexivo?
    – tac
    Jul 31, 2023 at 13:12
  • Thanks, its here wordreference.com/es/en/translation.asp?spen=enamorarse
    – M__
    Jul 31, 2023 at 17:34
    Ah eso sí. Gramaticalmente hablando, el ‘de’ hace que ‘enamorarse’ , siendo un verbo reflexivo, se lo asocie a un complemento (‘de mí’). Gramaticalmente, si no se usa el ‘se’ la frase podría interpretarse como ‘que se enamore bajo mi prescencia, pero no específicamente de mí’. Sin embargo, en la práctica y con el debido contexto, tu última construcción se considera equivalente a las anteriores; ya que es la única forma de que cobre sentido
    – tac
    Jul 31, 2023 at 17:50
    Thank you @tac this is very useful to know. Now understand. Gracias, esto es muy util para saber. Ahora entiendo y mi error está un poco divertido.
    – M__
    Jul 31, 2023 at 18:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.