I want to say, Spain is famous for it's festivals, las Fallas don't disappoint.

Is it "Las Fallas no fallan" or "no decepcionan". Or is it something else?

I have checked everywhere and am still unsure.

Thanks.

• You should provide some context, like Valencia. Be aware that the idiomatic usage of disappoint like that cannot be translated literally. In Spanish, you would say: Las Fallas are marvelous or something like that. What do you mean you checked everywhere??
    – Lambie
    Jun 11 at 13:59
  • Yes,Las Fallas de Valencia.
    – Bluelion7
    Jun 11 at 14:10
  • I looked in the dictionaries and online,thanks
    – Bluelion7
    Jun 11 at 14:11
  • I said, Spain is famous for its festivals and Las Fallas do not disappoint.
    – Bluelion7
    Jun 11 at 14:16
    I think "Las Fallas no fallan" is an effective play on words.
    – Gustavson
    Jun 11 at 15:04

3 Answers 3

In my opinion, as long as there is a commercial interest in encouraging attending Las Fallas and considering the added value of plays on words in advertising, a good translation would be:

• Las Fallas no fallan.

According to DLE, the fourth acceptation of "fallar" is "go wrong" or "stop working properly", but the third one is "fail to meet somebody's expectations":

1. intr. Dicho de una cosa o de una persona: No responder como se espera. Tú me estás fallando.

2. intr. Dicho de una cosa: Dejar de funcionar bien. Fallar el corazón, la televisión.

If I read "Las fallas no fallan", I'd think Las Fallas won't fail.
If I read "Las fallas no decepcionan", I'd think Las Fallas won't dissapoint.

You can use "fallar" as "to dissapoint", but in this case it uses an indirect object. It would be "Fallarle (a alguien)" = "let (somebody) down". I wrote an example of each case below. So you could say "Las fallas no te fallan". Or "Las fallas no le fallan" (a usted), depending on the context.

Two examples of "fallar", the 1st one means dissapoint and the 2nd means fail:

• Don't let me down -> No me falles  (dissapoint)
  • Don't fail                -> No falles         (fail)

As an earlier asnswer stated, using "fallar" sounds great because of the play on words.

Las Fallas is the name of the typical festival of Valencia, as San Fermín it's from the Basque country. It has nothing to do with the verb fallar (fail), the origin is different.

The word Fallas derives from the Latin facula, which means "torch", over the centuries it has evolved to give its name to the San José festivities that are celebrated in Valencia and other locations.

– Las Fallas don't disappoint – means that everyone will have fun during this holiday in Valencia.

• Yes, can anyone give me a natural expression that fits the meaning in English Please? I am not sure about my verbs.
    – Bluelion7
    Jun 11 at 15:25
  • – Las Fallas don't disappoint – is correct = Las Fallas no decepcionan.
    – Danielillo
    Jun 11 at 15:29
  • I recommend: "Las Fallas no fallan". Effective and to the point.
    – Gustavson
    Jun 11 at 22:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.