While watching a twitch stream someone said:

yo tengo un Raspberry, que me quiero construir uno

I would of said:

yo tengo un Raspberry, quiero construir uno yo mismo

The first form of this sentence confuses me a little. I am aware its a relative pronoun but still has me confused.

Question - Which is more commonly used?

Question 2 - What does "que" translate to when used in this form.

• ‘Would have said’. ‘Would of’ is grammatically incorrect :-)
    – Traveller
    Apr 20 at 14:14
  • I want to build myself one. is not: I want to build one myself. :)
    – Lambie
    May 4 at 15:42

4 Answers 4

The two sentences don't mean quite the same:

The first one can be translated as : I have a Raspberry, I want to build me one.

The second one means: I have a Raspberry, I want to build one myself

So only the second sentence is really using "myself" the first one doesn't really use the reflexive.

I think that's the reason @Kian is confused!
    – karloswitt
    Apr 18 at 19:14
  • ‘…I want to build me one’ sounds odd. I would use ‘myself’ (native English speaker)
    – Traveller
    Apr 20 at 14:12
  • I want to "build me" one sounds off but it is used commonly in English. As I mentioned, though, is not the quite the same as saying "myself", its more equivalent to saying: I want to build one for me. The emphasis is not "the builder" but what you want. Apr 23 at 14:46
  • I want to build myself one. is the way to say this.
    – Lambie
    May 4 at 15:42

The original is valid. In this case, "que" indicates cause, which is common in informal speech.

For example: Déjame tu bolígrafo, que el mío no escribe = Let me use your pen, (because) mine is not working.

En este caso, además de "yo mismo", podría usarse la construcción "por mi cuenta". La frase quedaría, pues:

(...) quiero construir uno por mi cuenta.

In this case, in addition to "yo mismo", the construction "por mi cuenta" could be used. The sentence would then be:

(...) quiero construir uno por mi cuenta.

Cuestión:

The first form of this sentence confuses me a little. I am aware its a relative pronoun but still has me confused.

Question 1 - Which is more commonly used?

Question 2 - What does "que" translate to when used in this form.

La primera forma de esta oración me confunde un poco. Soy consciente de que es un pronombre relativo, pero todavía me tiene confundido.

Pregunta 1 - ¿Cuál se usa más comúnmente?

yo tengo un Raspberry, quiero construir uno yo mismo

Pregunta 2 - ¿Qué significa "que" cuando se usa de esta forma?

Nada, es un error gramatical, en este caso "que", no es un pronombre relativo, es solo una incorrección - Yo tengo un Raspberry, me quiero construir uno.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.