Since "encantar" somewhat means "to be pleasing to (someone)" (aka. someone loves something), can "me encanto" be translated as "I love me/myself" (lit. I am pleasing to me)?

Edit: Can yall stop freaking out over the possibly narcissistic implications of this question? I'm tryin to learn Spanish and I'm experimenting conjugating different verbs to see if they make sense! People are so sensitive!

Frankly, who would say that? I love myself is me quiero or me amo. Me encanto is I'm enchanting to myself.....just not said. Would you ever say that?
    – Lambie
    Jan 13 at 19:43
    Maybe the expression was "me encantó" (I loved it)?
    – Charlie
    Jan 13 at 20:47
    What is the context? That sentence does not make sense to me. "Me encanto", as is, could be translated into "I love myself" or "I like myself", but it sounds like a little narcissistic, so I think your context is other. However, if you meant "me encantó", it could be translated as "I liked it very much"
    – jstuardo
    Jan 13 at 21:09
  • Mc Donalds translate his label "I'm lovin' it" as "Me encanta". Just saying Jan 14 at 16:08
    Why is everybody trying to change this to me encantó? That is not the OP's question at all. Me encanto a mi mismo. = I am very pleased with myself. If you can even bear reading that.
    – Lambie
    Jan 14 at 16:49

4 Answers 4

A better translation of "encantar" in that context is "charm" (remember that encantar can have a lot of different connotations ranging from "love" all the way to "cast a spell") so the phrase "me encanto" as in "me encanto a mí mismo" would be either "I charm myself" (which is kinda awkward) or "I find myself charming" (which sounds more natural).

As a Spanish native I've never used "me encanto" to talk about myself. In my case, here in Spain, I usually use "Encantar" to talk about something I really like... For example "Me encanta jugar Golf" or "Me encantó la cena de ayer". If I want to talk about me I would use "Me quiero/Me amo/Me gusto". Hope this helps.

• As a native English speaker, we don't usually go around saying "I love myself" either.
    – Lambie
    Jan 14 at 16:50

I mean, technically, you could use me encanto to say that you love something about you. At least in Mexico, it is very common.

For example, you could say:

Soy muy intelligente, ¡me encanto!

Which would translate to

I'm so smart, I love it!

Other examples of this type of construction could be:

Me caigo muy bien o me caigo mal

If the sentence is intended to describe something I really liked, such as "Me encantó la película" then it would be translated as "I loved the picture". An example using encantar in present tense could be "Me encanta la comida mexicana" to say "I love Mexican food".

This is generally the context in which encantar is used.

At the moment the OP has encanto, the first person present form not as you have stated.
    – mdewey
    Jan 14 at 12:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.