In the spanish translaton of Twain's Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, the following paragraph:

"What! and I as high as a tree and as big as a church? All right, then; I WOULD come; but I lay I'd make that man climb the highest tree there was in the country."

...is translated as:

––¡Cómo! ¿Si yo fuera igual de alto que un árbol y cuadrado como un armario de tres cuerpos? Bueno, vale; iría, pero te apuesto a que ese hombre tendría que subirse al árbol más alto que hubiera en todo el país.

Here “as big as a church” is translated as “cuadrado como un armario de tres cuerpos" ("square like a three-body closet” according to google translate). What?!? Why? What’s wrong with “tan grande como una iglesia”?

UPDATE

To answer pablod76, here is the previous spot where the size of a church is mentioned:

"Why," said he, "a magician could call up a lot of genies, and they would hash you up like nothing before you could say Jack Robinson. They are as tall as a tree and as big around as a church."

––Hombre ––dijo––, un mago puede llamar a un montón de genios, que te podrían hacer picadillo en medio minuto. Son igual de altos que árboles y cuadrados como armarios de tres cuerpos.

So, it is translated in pretty much the same way (cuadrados como armarios de tres cuerpos)

As far as comparing something to the size of a church, I have heard a madrileña say: Es una mentira tan grande como una catedral. But iglesias come in all shapes and sizes, and since Spanish-speakers tend to live among many churches, it might not be as descriptive as it is to a native English-speaker. There may be other cultural notions which led the translator to choose to avoid the church comparison.
    – nopaltepec
    Commented Nov 16, 2021 at 14:18
    What does the translation say a few paragraphs before that, where the original says «“Why,” said he, “a magician could call up a lot of genies, and they would hash you up like nothing before you could say Jack Robinson. They are as tall as a tree and as big around as a church.”»?
    – pablodf76
    Commented Nov 16, 2021 at 23:59
    @B.ClayShannon Thanks. At least the translator was consistent.
    – pablodf76
    Commented Nov 18, 2021 at 13:02
    La traducción al español fue realizado por una persona de España o de alguno de los países de América que habla español nativamente? Esto influye en la manera de traducir modismos y giros del idioma original al español
    – alvalongo
    Commented Nov 18, 2021 at 20:57
    Concuerdo con @nopaltepec que las iglesias en los países que hablan español nativamente son edificaciones de diferentes tamaños.
    – alvalongo
    Commented Nov 18, 2021 at 20:59

1 Answer 1

I'm not sure that a Spanish speaker would use 'iglesia' to describe a giant person unless buildings have been mentioned(as tall as the Twin Towers, as tall as a giraffe, as tall as a mountain)

"Como un ropero/armario de tres cuerpos" means "as big as a cupboard/closet/truck/whale/barrel/phone booth", and refers to a person as broad chest, bulky, broad-shouldered, corpulent or fat in a bad or funny way.

Maybe he's like a wide bodied giant is more appropriate.

• A few paragraphs before this snippet, Huck reports Tom explaining about genies: “They are as tall as a tree and as big around as a church.” I wonder what the translator did there. I tried looking whether this was an idiom, but it doesn't look like it. “Grande como un ropero” was a simile my father used to make about well-built people. Specifying “de tres cuerpos” seems to me rather excessive.
    – pablodf76
    Commented Nov 16, 2021 at 23:58
  • "ropero de tres cuerpos" is not so common, but it is still in use. If you want to emphasize the size.
    – King Midas
    Commented Nov 24, 2021 at 14:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.