I want to say "they were not any old holidays". I read the post What is the rule for cualquier, cualquiera, and cualesquiera?

I am wondering then is it: "no fueron unas vacaciones cualesquiera" or would it be better to just say "normales"?

Thanks

• We need context, or we can't properly translate it, "cualesquiera" sounds to me like a manual or math book. No fueron las típicas vacaciones. En realidad no hubo vacaciones.
    – cocteau
    Nov 7, 2021 at 13:41
  • I guess I want to say, they are holidays that are out of the ordinary, not the usual or typical holiday. I am writing about doing the Camio in Santiago de Compostela.
    – Bluelion7
    Nov 7, 2021 at 21:52
  • I think maybe wimi has answered my question well below but if anyone else has anything to add I am happy too.
    – Bluelion7
    Nov 7, 2021 at 21:56
    You can also use 'más' in this sense. 'No fueron unas vacaciones más'. The problem with 'cualesquiera' is that the plural form is mostly used in formal language, so a lot of people would tend to say 'no fueron unas vacaciones cualquiera', but this is frowned upon as a mistake as wimi points out below. Nov 8, 2021 at 8:57
  • Thanks. I always wondered what " más " meant in this context.
    – Bluelion7
    Nov 8, 2021 at 20:08

1 Answer 1

Both are correct, and there are examples of both in the press or in promotional texts:

For me, "no son unas vacaciones cualesquiera" has a slightly more emphatic meaning (i.e., they are really special holidays), but the difference is very small.

The use of cualquiera in singular form in this context is a common mistake according to DPD:

A menudo se utiliza erróneamente la forma del singular para el plural:❌«No se debe, cualquiera que sean las circunstancias, admitir que se denigre el nivel del debate» (DYucatán [Méx.] 12.9.96)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.