There's an earlier discussion on "politics" versus "policy" in Spanish,

"Domestic politics" and "domestic policy" in Spanish?

both of which are "política". Various strategies were offered to make "policy" clear: use the plural, qualifiers like "política económica" etc.

But what if you want to say something like "That's a question of politics, not policy"? This would seem to call for "política" twice. I just wonder if there's a concise way to signal the distinction.

1 Answer 1

I think the basic difference between 'politics' and 'policy' in English is that the first is a non-count noun and the second a count noun, whereas in Spanish 'política' is used in both ways. In the example you give, I would use words like 'general' and 'específico' or 'concreto' to make the distinction. The next sentence could work as a translation:

Es una cuestión de política en general, no de políticas concretas.

You can substitute 'específicas' or 'particulares' for 'concretas' and 'más que de' for 'no de', with the same meaning.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.