There is one note for 1933 in my great-grandfathers Civil Guard records.

This is the note:

enter image description here

This is the transcribed text so far:

Con arreglo al Dechelo de la Presidencia del Gobierno fecha 22 Abril 1931 [D. O. no 90] firmo la promesa de fidelidad a la Republica que en aquel se premiere. Prestando sus servicios en el puesto de Puente Genil finió el año.

El Jefe del Detall

There are a couple of words there that I have struggled with (e.g. Dechelo). And I think it has a reference to a D.O. no. 90. I can't quite make out if the abbreviation is actually D.O. but I was able to find a bulletin with the right number 90. I am not sure though which information in this document relates to this note.

The translation I have so far is:

In accordance with the Decree of the Presidency of the Government dated 22 April 1931 [D. O. No. 90] I sign the promise of loyalty to the Republic which is awarded therein. Serving at the Puente Genil post at the end of the year.

The Chief of the Detall

Thanks for your assistance once again.

Updated Translation

Here is the translation based on the answer provided:

In accordance with the Decree of the Presidency of the Government dated 22 April 1931 [D. O. No. 90], he signed the promise of loyalty to the Republic provided for therein. Serving at the Puente Genil post at the end of the year.

The Chief of the Detall

Linked Bulletin

I transcribed / translated the linked bulletin snapshot in the answer:

• Spanish

Art. 6.o Cuando el Ministerio de la Guerra lo determine, las autoridades regionales, darán las ordenes e instrucciones precisas para demandar la promesa a las clases e individuos de tropa de los Cuerpos, centros o dependencias de la región. A ello queda igualmente obligado el personal, con asimilación militar, que sirve en fábricas, talleres, parques y laboratorios, aunque no estén considerados como clases e individuos de tropa.

Dado en Madrid a veintidós de abril de mil novecientos treinta y uno.

• English

Art. 6. o When the Ministry of War so determines, the regional authorities shall give the necessary orders and instructions to demand the pledge from the troop classes and individuals of the Corps, centres or dependencies of the region. Personnel, with military assimilation, who serve in factories, workshops, parks and laboratories, although they are not considered as troop classes and individuals, shall also be obliged to do so.

Given in Madrid on the twenty-second day of April of the year one thousand nine hundred and thirty-one.

My suggestions

Con arreglo al Decreto de la Presidencia del Gobierno fecha 22 Abril 1931 [D. O. no 90] firmó la promesa de fidelidad a la Republica que en aquel se previene. Prestando sus servicios en el puesto de Puente Genil finió el año.

El Jefe del Detall

The little accent mark in firmó will change your translation.

This is the article that affected your great grandfather (page 2 of the PDF document you found)

Art.6 D.O.90 1931

The Second Spanish Republic began the 14th April 1931. As pointed by @fedorqui, it was probably one of the first decrees signed by the new goverment.

I was about to post the exact same suggestions. Good one. May be good to explain that the II República was proclaimed on April 14, 1931, so this was probably one of the first laws to be signed by the new rulers. Aug 23 '21 at 10:33
  • Thank you both for the answer and clarifications! Aug 23 '21 at 10:46
    I decided to translate the linked bulletin bit for my benefit. :) Aug 23 '21 at 11:11
    @AndrewTruckle that an interesting insight. In fact, one of the big problems of the Second Spanish Republic had to do with loyalty of the army to the government, so this decree is quite relevant to what came next. Aug 23 '21 at 11:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.