For the year 1926 in my great-grandfathers Civil Guard records there two entries. The first one relates to him signing up for another 4 years (1926 - 1930) and as such is similar in terms of content to other notes of this nature.

It is split over two pages in the document:

enter image description here

enter image description here

I have done my best to transcribe the note. I also looked at the existing notes to attempt to complete unsure words. This is what I have so far:

Cumpliendo su compromiso en 31 de Agosto año marginal solicitó y le que xxx por su premier Jefe otro por el tiempo de 4 años por xxx las condiciones prevenidas, incluso la de este xxx y como comprendido en la R. O. C de 11 de Agosto de 1920 (C. L. no. 195) pero en concepto de provisional hasta la a fino aprobación al termina del Enero. Sr. [Señor] Pto (?) Gral. [General] del Cuerpo. Dicho comprimido da servicio en 1º de Septiembre de 1926 y lo terminara en 31 de Agosto de 1930, xxx temido durante el mismo el premio mensual de 27’50 pesetas. Y en prueba de su conformidad, de firma el interesado la presente xxx el Jefe y testigos que suscriben.
El interesado = Miguel Torres Jiménez
Testigos =
El Gua [Guardia] 2º = firma
El Gua [Guardia] 2º = firma
El Comandte Major = firma

I refer to a comment made on the answer for the note pertaining to 1930 by @gpars:

Indeed, R.O.C. stands for Real Orden Circular. C.L. stands for Colección Legislativa. The cited decree can be consulted here (page 390 of the PDF file).

I see that this reference has appeared several times when my great-grandfather re-enlists. At the moment I have tried to translation the aforementioned decree.

I would be grateful for assistance to complete the transcription so that I can get the translation done. Thanks!

Also, I can't quite make out the word at the top left of the second page (second image). Is it an equivalent of "Continued ..."?

Translation

Based on the provided answer I have the following translation:

Fulfilling his commitment on 31st August of the marginal year, he requested and was granted by his first Chief another for 4 years as he fulfilled the conditions foreseen, including that of usefulness and as included in the R. O. C of 11th August 1920 (C. L. no. 195) but on a provisional basis until the definitive approval of His Excellency the Director General of the Corps. This commitment begins on 1st September 1926 and will end on 31st August 1930, during which time he will receive a monthly salary of 27.50 pesetas. And in proof of his agreement, the interested party signs the present before the undersigned Chief and witnesses.
The interested party = Miguel Torres Jiménez
Witnesses =
The 2nd Guardsman = Manuel Ruiz xxxx
The 2nd Guardsman = Alfonso Torres Laguna
The Major Commander = Juan Egea Urraco
All initialled
This is a copy
The Major Commander

Some observations:

1. Is this part of the translation correct?

… the interested party signs the present before …

1. I notice this time better wording. Eg:

This commitment begins on 1st September 1926 and will end on 31st August 1930, during which time he will receive a monthly salary of 27.50 pesetas.

I understand that as the times become more recent that the written language would become less archaic. But it begs the question, if all other instances of 27'50 were likewise referring to a monthly salary. It would only be logical that they did.

We previously ended up with DeepL suggesting it was:

• Constancy Allowance (Question: 1922)
  • Monthly Allowance (Question: 1930)

I welcome your clarifications.

Related Questions

1 Answer 1

My suggestions

Cumpliendo su compromiso en 31 de Agosto año marginal solicitó y le fue concedido por su primer Jefe otro por el tiempo de 4 años por reunir las condiciones prevenidas, incluso la de utilidad y como comprendido en la R. O. C de 11 de Agosto de 1920 (C. L. no. 195) pero en concepto de provisional hasta la aprobación definitiva del Excmo. [Excelentísimo] Sr. [Señor] Dtor [Director] Gral. [General] del Cuerpo. Dicho compromiso da principio en 1º de Septiembre de 1926 y lo terminará en 31 de Agosto de 1930, disfrutando durante el mismo el premio mensual de 27’50 pesetas. Y en prueba de su conformidad, firma el interesado la presente ante el Jefe y testigos que suscriben.
El interesado = Miguel Torres Jiménez
Testigos =
El Gua [Guardia] 2º = Manuel Ruiz xxxx
El Gua [Guardia] 2º = Alfonso Torres Laguna
El Comandte Mayor = Juan Egea Urraco
Todo rubricado
Es copia
El Comandte Mayor.

I can't make the top left word either. Something-ños.

Regarding your doubts about the translation

1. In Spanish in this context "presente" is an adjective. In this case the accompanying noun has been omitted "la presente (nota)". Presente refers to the document itself. It doesn't mean the same than present (noun) in English. I think that in English you can use both this and this note but it doesn't reflect exactly the Spanish version. I've got not an exact match to suggest. The current?

2. We saw in a previously linked bulletin that 27.50 is a constancy reward that is added to the salary monthly due to your ancestor's labor seniority. It's not the salary but a bonus. I'm not fully sure if bonus is synonym of constancy allowance.

• Thank you very much for your answer. I have updated the question with the translation and my observations. Aug 21, 2021 at 16:55
    @AndrewTruckle I've updated my answer trying to solve your doubts
    – RubioRic
    Aug 21, 2021 at 17:20
    Thanks. 1. I understand you. 2. Then I must change this translation. If it is a reward then we tend to use the term bonus. So I'll change them to monthly bonus for consistency throughout. Aug 21, 2021 at 17:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.