For the year 1913 in my Great Grandfathers Civil Guard records there are three entries.

Here is the first one: enter image description here

This is the transcribed text so far:

En 3 de Abril año marginal xxx este individuo xxx hado a Rio Ginito (?) “xxxdra” con objeto de prestan el servicio de concentración con motiva (?) de la xxgar que en dicho xxx xxx mineral, de donde requiso el 14 del mismo que en incorporó a puesto.

El 2o Jefe

This bit Rio Ginito (?) “xxxdra” seems like it might actually be Rio Cristol "Hendra". But I can't find such a term.

Translation

Here is the translation:

On the 3rd of April this individual went to Rio Tinto "Huelva" to provide the concentration service on the occasion of the strike that the miners held in that area, from where he returned on the 14th of the same month when he returned to his post.

The 2nd Chief

DeepL does offer marshalling as an alternative to concentation. Previously I added crowd control duties in parenthesis. Thoughts?

Related Questions

I have updated my answer in relation with your doubt about concentration.
    – RubioRic
    Aug 15 '21 at 9:12

I have read Rio Cristol "Hendra" and now I'm impelled to answer.

Río Tinto (Red River) is a river located in the province of Huelva in Andalucía, Spain. The river gives its name to a nearby mining town. The mining company, Rio Tinto Company Limited, was owned by Englishmen.

En 3 de Abril año marginal marchó este individuo concentrado? a Río Tinto "Huelva" con objeto de prestar el servicio de concentración con motivo de la huelga que en dicha zona sostuvieron los mineros, de donde regresó el 14 del mismo que se incorporó a su puesto.

El 2º Jefe

More information (in Spanish) about various strikes in Rio Tinto (including the aforementioned one) here

Rio Tinto around that date (can't find the exact year)

You can translate concentración as concentration. Both words have the exact same meaning in Spanish and English, according to the DLE and the Oxford Dictionary respectively

concentración (noun)

1. f. Acción y efecto de concentrar o concentrarse.

concentrar (verb, to gather)
2. tr. Congregar un número generalmente grande de personas para que patenticen una actitud determinada

concentration (noun)
2. A close gathering of people or things.

Due to the historical context we can assume that servicio de concentración is just an euphemism for control de masas (crowd-control).

In the following images, you can see the Guardia Civil doing this kind of service in Barcelona, in 1902 (painted by Ramón Casas) and 1909 respectively. It's not hard to imagine what they did in Rio Tinto in 1913.

The Charge by Ramón Casas

Semana trágica Barcelona 1909

• Fascinating! I am at work now (twilight shift). You have given me many links to review. Thanks for your hard work! I will check it all out tomorrow afternoon and work on the translation based on this. Aug 14 '21 at 21:11
  • I still have more reading to do ... :) I used Google Translate to translate the webpages but then it would not let me print the complete translated article. I see others have had the same problem. Aug 15 '21 at 7:55
  • Thank you for that addition refinement! Aug 15 '21 at 10:01
    @AndrewTruckle Our parent's names are still present today in our DNI, the National Identification Document. I can see no reasons for children to be listed in military records.
    – RubioRic
    Aug 16 '21 at 9:44
    When I wrote "(just his mum and had)" I was referring to the fact that his parent, my great-great-grandparents, were at-least mentioned by name on the first page, but not his wife (next of kin). On the English military papers for my Great Grandfather it does mention my great-grandmother. And on other papers of other indirect ancestors it mentions all the male children, But I admit they lack all the history that we are gleaning here for my great-grandfather. Aug 16 '21 at 10:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.