For the year 1910 in my Great Grandfathers Civil Guard records there are three entries.

Here is the first one (split into three images):

enter image description here

The transcribed text so far (I have not attempted the signiatures yet):

Competiendo este individuo en actual compromiso en fin de agosto actual lo hasta y xxx xxx por el Señor 1º Jefe del a Comandancia xxx por 4 años con opción xxx xxx la leyriguette toda veo que xxx la circúlela las prevenías y ha resultado xxx del recovar inmiento xxx que al afecta ha fin xxx. Esta c compromiso xxx xxx en lo que xxx fecha hoy premiso a reserva de lo que la Millinencion General xxx en de fin xxx enpxxx a estinqino y mismo en 1º de Septiembre de este año y coterminara en fin de xxx 1914 xxx la presente hasta en pruebo diez conformidad con el Jefe y tesstiga que Director en Sevilla.

El 2º Jefe

I admit that I have found it quite hard to transcribe (it is not good!). I guess for someone comfortable with Spanish you can pick out the word patterns easier. What I can see if my Great Grandfathers signiature on the right! So I guess this is a significant note.

I have also stuggled to work out where sentences start and stop. And I don't actually see a "date" for the note.

Translation

At the moment I have the following translation based on suggestions provided in answers:

Having completed his current commitment at the end of August, this individual requested and was granted by the 1st Chief of the Command the reenlistment for 4 years with the option of the benefits granted by the law in force, given that he meets the circumstances foreseen and has been useful in the optional examination he has undergone for this purpose. This commitment has been admitted as far as the award is concerned, subject to the final decision of the General Comptroller's Office, which will begin to expire on 1st September this year and will end at the end of August 1914. Signing this note in proof of his agreement with the undersigned Chief and witnesses in Seville.

The 2nd Chief

Update 1

I have updated the translation based on the combined efforts of both answers. I think the translation is clear and understandable, with one exception. The phrase begin to expire on does not seem right to me. Thoughts?

Related Questions

"begin to expire" is a strange way of putting things but it's based on the concept that a period of time begins to expire, it's closer to its end day by day, from the moment that it's started. It's an archaic and burocratic way of saying just "starting". "begin to expire" = "starting". "starting on 1st September (1910) and ending in August 1914"
    – RubioRic
    Commented Aug 13, 2021 at 11:03

2 Answers 2

My suggestions

Cumpliendo este individuo su actual compromiso en fin de agosto actual, solicitó y le fue concedido por el Señor 1º Jefe de la Comandancia el reenganche por 4 años con opción a los beneficios que concede la ley vigente toda vez que reune las circunstancias prevenidas y ha resultado útil del reconocimiento facultativo que al efecto ha sufrido. Este compromiso le ha sido admitido en lo que respecta al permiso?, a reserva de lo que la Intervención General resuelva en definitiva empezando a xxxx su servicio? en 1º de Septiembre de este año y lo terminará en fin de agosto de 1914. Firmando la presente carta? en prueba de su conformidad con el Jefe y testigos que suscriben en Sevilla.

Firmas

• Thanks. Where you have ? is that because you are not sure of the word you selected? Commented Aug 13, 2021 at 8:40
    @AndrewTruckle I agree with "extinguir el mismo" and "nota" suggested by gparis
    – RubioRic
    Commented Aug 13, 2021 at 9:27
    1er and 1º are synonyms in Spanish. I think that it's not relevant if the actual little letter is just an "o" or is an "er". I'm not sure about "premio".
    – RubioRic
    Commented Aug 13, 2021 at 10:38
    @AndrewTruckle Your wordprocessor is right.
    – RubioRic
    Commented Aug 13, 2021 at 10:47
    "las" doesn't match "servicio" in gender nor number. It may be "el" or "su".
    – RubioRic
    Commented Aug 13, 2021 at 11:00

Based on RubioRic suggestions:

Cumpliendo este individuo su actual compromiso en fin de agosto actual, solicitó y le fue concedido por el Señor 1er Jefe de la Comandancia el reenganche por 4 años con opción a los beneficios que concede la ley vigente toda vez que reúne las circunstancias prevenidas y ha resultado útil del reconocimiento facultativo que al efecto ha sufrido. Este compromiso le ha sido admitido en lo que respecta al premio, a reserva de lo que la Intervención General resuelva en definitiva empezando a extinguir el mismo en 1º de Septiembre de este año y lo terminará en fin de agosto de 1914. Firmando la presente nota en prueba de su conformidad con el Jefe y testigos que suscriben en Sevilla.

• Thank you for your answer! I have updated the translation in the question. See what you think. By the way, what is the difference between 1o and 1er? Commented Aug 13, 2021 at 10:39
    @AndrewTruckle I suspect this is the writer distinguishing between primer and primero. This Q&A explains the usage spanish.stackexchange.com/questions/3349/…
    – mdewey
    Commented Aug 13, 2021 at 11:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.