I was text-chatting to a Spanish-speaking colleague on MS Teams and we both said almost the same thing at the same time - as a British person, my reaction was to say "Snap!" - it's a tradition to say it when you both say the same thing at the same time. I think it's popular in the UK and Australia and New Zealand, and in the US people say "Jinx!" when this happens. I wondered if there is an equivalent in Spanish?

This page explains the English usage of "Snap" and "Jinx": https://separatedbyacommonlanguage.blogspot.com/2006/10/jinx-and-snap.html

Speaking from Madrid, Spain: This is only normal among children. My kids say "¡Chispas!". We said something completely different when I was a child, but I can't remember now!

• Do they also get muted until somebody else says their names? If not it doesn't apply Aug 12 '21 at 20:38
  • Hmmm... I need t check my sources.
    – aerobiomat
    Aug 13 '21 at 9:19
    In the Castillian Spanish version of Frozen this is the word they use in the translation for the "Love is an open door" song. I have heard it used also in another movie, but I can't remember which one.
    – Charlie
    Aug 13 '21 at 9:53
  • @SergioVelasquez the muting rule does not apply to the use of snap in the UK. We just say it and move on.
    – mdewey
    Aug 13 '21 at 12:55

In Colombia you say : "Enchiclado" and it does have the same rules as the UK tradition.

• ¿Dónde? Nunca lo escuché. ¡Qué curioso! :) Aug 12 '21 at 20:37
    Lo he escuchado en San Diego también.
    – Dúthomhas
    Aug 13 '21 at 6:06
  • En Colombia? nunca lo he escuchado
    – alvalongo
    Aug 17 '21 at 22:51
  • Nunca no lo he escuchado, ¿qué hay de "matamos un diablo" o "diga un color"? Sep 1 '21 at 5:20

In Málaga, in the South of Spain, back in the 80s, we used "chispita!"

• Also with the same traditional rules as being "jinxed"? Aug 12 '21 at 20:39
  • @SergioVelasquez Yes. You seem annoyed because we are not backing your first comment (now removed) up. I don't know about Colombia or the rest of Spain, that's why I have been so precised about the location.
    – RubioRic
    Aug 13 '21 at 5:38
  • @SergioVelasquez I am also from Málaga and I never heard about muting until someone said your name. Just the "chispitas" word and life continues as usual :)
    – Miguel
    Aug 13 '21 at 10:38
  • @Miguel Maybe they don't have explained it to you ever. I've just questioned a younger colleague about it and they have the same word and the same rules in his school here in Málaga.
    – RubioRic
    Aug 13 '21 at 10:41
  • In the UK snap does not involve muting. You just say it and move on.
    – mdewey
    Aug 13 '21 at 12:56

In Colombia we usually say: ¡"Embrujado"! We used the term "Embrujado" when I was a child, which was in the time of the 2000s onwards, I lived part of my childhood in Cali - Colombia and Ureña - Venezuela, there we also used that term

There is another Colombian answer, maybe you should indicate in which part of Colombia because they differ.
    – RubioRic
    Aug 14 '21 at 6:48
  • The truth is, I never heard the term that is above. We used the term "Embrujado" when I was a child, which was in the time of the 2000s onwards, I lived part of my childhood in Cali - Colombia and Ureña - Venezuela, there we also used that term... But I would not know how to answer why it differs... @RubioRic
    – alentin
    Aug 17 '21 at 15:54
  • I didn't mean that you have to explain why they differ but that you should edit your answer to specify those locations. I know that in different locations, we use different words, that's why I have tried to be more accurate in my answer pointing my city and not just my country.
    – RubioRic
    Aug 17 '21 at 15:59
  • Ok, Fine @RubioRic
    – alentin
    Aug 17 '21 at 16:04

In Argentina in the 90s we would say '¡Congelado!'. Same rules as Jinxed, from what I'm reading.

Or, also in Argentina, we would play to Guli guli, tres piñas. Kinda the same, a little more physical, though
    – jmm
    Aug 13 '21 at 18:14
  • I remember the 3 piñas thing but I've never heard someone say "congelado"
    – Alvaro
    Aug 13 '21 at 22:03

In Catalonia, north-east of Spain, we said "Bis bis!" back in the 80's-90's.

• Same in the Basque Country in the 2000s.
    – Asier R.
    Aug 31 '21 at 12:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.