I am trying to translate this poem into Spanish, but am having trouble on the third line:

Star light, star bright, First star I see tonight, I wish I may, I wish I might, Have this wish I wish tonight.

Does anyone know how to say "I wish I may, I wish I might" in Spanish? I will be forever grateful for your help!

• That is quite hard to answer as most English speakers have trouble distinguishing may from might so it may not be clear what the song writer thinks it means. Perhaps you should edit to clarify what you think?
    – mdewey
    Jul 17 at 13:22
  • It is not very grammatical in English either. I wish I might is sort of, I wish I may is not. That said, this is a poem for kids. So, it has to rhyme. might has to rhyme with light, and tonight. The idea is: Que pueda este deseo cumplirse; Ojalá que se cumpla este deseo.
    – Lambie
    Jul 18 at 16:53
  • Ojalá (que) se me cumpla, ojalá (que) se me pudiera cumplir este deseo.
  • Quisiera que se (me) cumpla, quisiera que se (me) pudiera cumplir este deseo (que estoy pidiendo esta noche/que pido...)

The full translation could ¨Yo deseo que puedo, yo desearía poder" could be shortened for aesthetics to: Deseo que puedo, desearía poder. Those are two different forms for the 1st person conditional. Kinda sad as well.

• I wish I may have the wish I wish tonight. Is not yo deseo.
    – Lambie
    Jul 18 at 16:54

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.