I'm trying to "backronym" a name from a set of letters/initials and I'd like to use 'orado' being a reference to gold, albeit informal, á la 'dorado' tho lacking the 'd' (de + oro + -ado). Could it be done? Would any native speaker use it so? Of course, 'orado' is the past participle of 'orar,' 'to pray,' which also has a nice connotation, but not quite what I'd like.

Gracias.

There are really only two adjectives that refer to gold: dorado and áureo. The former means either “golden” or “gold-plated”, then latter is more general “(made) of gold” or “gold-like”. (Dorar means “to cover with gold, to apply gold plating” but also “to toast (bread), to brown”, so careful.)

Orado only brings to mind the verb orar, which in itself is not that common (most people use rezar instead); moreover, orado is only ever used as the participle of the verb in compound tenses. It never functions as an adjective, nor can it be used by itself in absolute participial constructions.¹ So orado wouldn't call up any associations at all.

¹ An absolute participial construction is something like “All things considered...” or “Come winter...”.

• The meaning of "to toast" or "to brown" is related to the expression "golden brown" in English. Jul 5 at 18:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.