I am a student of Spanish. I am planning to watch a Spanish tv series in native Spanish, Money Heist (La Casa de Papel)

This is a sentence from the opening scene:

Me caerían 30 años

This wasn't accompanied by anything else. I already know the verb caer but I couldn't figure out what she meant by it. She was running from the law and explaining her criminal background.

• The image is like something falling on a person from above. As in: x would come down on me. But, to translate it for the movie, it's I'd get 30 years.
    – Lambie
    Jun 28, 2021 at 14:26

1 Answer 1

This is a colloquial way of saying “I would get 30 years (jail time)”. The verb caer, here, could be approximately translated into English as “to happen” or “to befall”, although depending on the context, it could also mean “to receive as deserved punishment” or “to get dealt by luck”. So you can think of it like this: “Me caerían 30 años” = “30 years jail time would befall me”.

Typo? befell is past, befall seems better. Perhaps I will be landed with 30 years has the same flavour as caer although it it not a very natural phrase.
    – mdewey
    Jun 27, 2021 at 11:07
    @mdewey Not a typo really, just a mistake. :) Thanks!
    – pablodf76
    Jun 27, 2021 at 15:08
  • I'd get 30 years. is right. befall is not right here at all. caer here would actually be: come down on me
    – Lambie
    Jun 28, 2021 at 14:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.