Does me indicate (1) reflexive (pronominal) or (2) dativo aspectual in the sentence

No me iba a perder el verano

And if it indicates either (1) or (2), can you say why it does?

Is the sentence construction similar to the one in

Me leí todo el periódico

• Do you mean "me"?
    – RubioRic
    Jun 25, 2021 at 5:40
  • Yes. I was thinking of reflexive pronouns in general.
    – user326251
    Jun 25, 2021 at 11:33
  • Yes? There is not any "se" in your sentences. Please edit the title and your post replacing "se" by "me" if that is what you mean.
    – RubioRic
    Jun 25, 2021 at 11:39
  • perderse el verano means to miss, perder alone is lose. There are two different meanings.
    – Lambie
    Jun 29, 2021 at 17:07
  • Me léi todo is not really necessary but could be translated here as cover to cover. Like: Me comí todo el pastel: I ate up the whole cake.
    – Lambie
    Jun 29, 2021 at 17:16

1 Answer 1

As an aside, pronominal does not exclude dativo aspectual. The former is about morphosyntax, the latter about semantics. Perderse (el verano) is a pronominal usage of the verb perder and it expresses a so-called “aspectual dative”. The corresponding entry at the DLE reads:

1. prnl. No aprovecharse algo que podía y debía ser útil, o aplicarse mal para otro fin. U. t. c. tr.

There are no simple tests to determine when a dative is an aspectual dative, but one can compare it with other, clearer examples of this. One thing you cannot do with an aspectual dative is to have a direct object that is generic or unbounded. *No me iba a perder veranos is ungrammatical because veranos is unbounded (it doesn't have any specific reference or bound). No me iba a perder un verano como este is correct because un verano como este is bounded by the qualification como este (even if it's not definite).

Semantically, perderse implies a bounded, completed, finished event, just like other aspectual datives; perderse algo implies missing the whole thing. So this is indeed like leerse (todo) el libro or tomarse una cerveza (entera).

• A New Reference Grammar doesn't mention dativo de interés, dativo ético, dativo simpatético, or dativo aspectual although it does categorize pronominal verbs in the following categories: reflexive, reciprocal, intransitive, se de matización, "total consumption," passive se, "special construction," and impersonal se. So I am groping for information that will help me recognize se in all its uses <whew>, and I thank you for providing this valuable information.
    – user326251
    Jun 25, 2021 at 20:18
  • Are you able to translate No me iba a perder el verano or Me leí todo el periódico to English?
    – user326251
    Jun 26, 2021 at 10:24
  • I would have said "I am not going to miss the summer". In fact I would probably have re-worded it as that does not sound quite right but that would depend on the context which you did not give us. The other one is a bit impenetrable without more context.
    – mdewey
    Jun 26, 2021 at 12:21
  • I agree that "No me iba a perder veranos" does not sound right. However, with an adjective the indefinite plural can work: Me perdí veranos enteros yendo al campo. And with other verbs, the ungrammaticality rule does not work: Me pasé horas trabajando / Con el dinero de la herencia me compré autos y casas.
    – Gustavson
    Jun 26, 2021 at 12:54
    After taking a walk, I have decided to submit a possible translation for "No me iba a perder el verano." It is "I really wasn't going to miss the summer." I think this is as close as I can translate "No me iba a perder el verano."
    – user326251
    Jun 26, 2021 at 14:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.