I just finished reading a rather long article about estafadores cibernéticos :

https://mundo.sputniknews.com/20210512/su-novio-de-tinder-le-estafo-83000-euros-los-ciberdelitos-en-espana-se-disparan-por-la-pandemia-1112104644.html

and feel that, given the context, this sentence :

Los correos electrónicos o mensajes de texto con links o publicidad donde se venden o promocionan mascarillas o material necesario para la pandemia están a la orden del día, y aunque parezca mentira, no son pocos los que se resisten a pinchar en el enlace que robará su intimidad.

is logically unsound in that los que se resisten should actually not be many.

Would you agree?

You're probably right. The sentence seems to have an extra "no". It should be "... parezca mentira, son pocos los que ..." but it looks just like a typo to me.
    – RubioRic
    May 19 at 5:46
  • I interpret no son pocos los que as meaning there are many people who cannot resist clicking.
    – mdewey
    May 19 at 9:53
    @mdewey The point is that "resist" is in the affirmative: "...there are many (not few) who refuse to click" while it should be "there are many (not few) who cannot refuse to click".
    – Gustavson
    May 19 at 10:44
  • @Gustavson I must have been reading what I thought the author meant to say, not what the words actually were.
    – mdewey
    May 19 at 13:25
  • I rather think that the sentence has one no too few. It should be no son pocos los que no se resisten. Of course, it can be written in a more straightforward way: no son pocos los que acaban pinchando en el enlace...
    – Gorpik
    May 20 at 16:55

"No son pocos los que se resisten" means that there "are many who resist" because you are denying that there are few. And I'm sure this isn't what you wanna say. I think that you wanna say that only few resist, so it could be "son pocos los que se resisten" or "no son muchos los que se resisten".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.