I'm interested in reading more about this grammatical phenomenon and its rules but I don't know what to call it. Is it considered a tense, or does it have a different term? There's no corresponding phenomenon in French or English, e.g. no "tohaveus" or "avoirnous", so I haven't encountered it before.

  • 1
    levantarse [stand or stand up] and quedarse [[remain or stay in a place] are called reflexive verbs. In Spanish they say: verbos pronominales. In French there is the same thing: se laver [les mains], s'asseoir [to sit down] etc. In French, they are called les verbes pronominaux. In English, we use reflexive pronouns to lift ambiguity: The cat was licking itself. For the Spanish and French, you just have to memorize the uses. They are not tenses, they are a "form". In Spanish, you have to add the pronouns based on the person: Nos levantamos temprano. =We wake up early. – Lambie May 1 at 19:29
  • In French, these are conjugated too: Nous nous lavons les mains trois fois par jour. Perhaps you go look these up: verbos pronominales, verbes pronominaux. – Lambie May 1 at 19:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.