So I am trying to decide between these 2 sentences:

Anthony Solares es una persona que limpia muchas casas. Él tiene un ingreso predictible.

and

A Anthony Solares es una persona que limpia muchas casas. Él tiene un ingreso predictible.

Which one is correct? If you could tell me when to use / not to use "A" in front of a name, please do so.

Just a comment, the usual word for "predictable" is predecible. – Martin Argerami Mar 31 at 10:38

That usage of the preposition "a" is sometimes called a personal (personal "a"). It is used before all indirect objects, and before direct objects that refer to a person. It is never used before the subject of a sentence.

For example:

• Dale el documento a Juan (indirect object).
  • No veo a Pablo (direct object that refers to a person).
  • No veo la estrella (direct object that does not refer to a person, so no "a").
  • Anthony Solares es una persona que limpia muchas casas. (subject, so no "a").

The complete rules and all the edge cases are listed in DPD.

This answer is really helpful. It summed up all the confusion I had around this topic. – FairOPShotgun Mar 31 at 0:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.