In class, my teacher brought up this question:

¿Los gatos negros _______ _________________ mala suerte a ti?

She said the correct answer was, "¿Los gatos negros les parecen mala suerte a ti?" Shouldn't the correct answer be "te parecen" since the object that is receiving the action is "tú" and the subject is "Los gatos negros"? If I am getting something wrong, please let me know. As always, thanks for the feedback.

Are you 100% sure she said that? It seems to me that: parecer mala suerte (which, by the way can be found in pretty decent texts online) would be: parecer [x] a alguien. So, if you have an a ti, the pronoun would be te. And if you have a Uds. you get: "les parecen mala suerte a Uds". – Lambie Mar 29 at 14:17
  • Thanks for the clarification Lambie. I was very confused about this. – FairOPShotgun Mar 29 at 14:37
  • Right. It's sure great when the clouds lift. :) – Lambie Mar 29 at 15:11
  • There is a pronominal usage of parecer so she may have meant that. Why not ask her? – mdewey Mar 29 at 15:32
  • ¿Los gatos negros son de mala suerte? (de por sí)
  • ¿Los gatos negros te traen mala suerte? (a ti)
  • ¿Los gatos negros les traen mala suerte? (a ustedes)
  • ¿Les parece que los gatos negros sean/son de mala suerte? (a ustedes)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.