Quisiera saber si en el español de latinoamérica es correcto traducir "at the time" como "al momento".

• Where were you at the time that things started happening in relation to the Wal-Mart's parking lot?
  • Donde te encontrabas cuando partieron las cosas en el estacionamiento de Wal-Mart?
  • Donde te encontrabas cuando sucedieron los hechos del estacionamiento de Wal-Mart?
  • Donde te encontrabas cuando sucedió lo de el estacionamiento de Wal-Mart?
  • Donde estuviste al momento de lo ocurrido en el estacionamiento de Wal-Mart?

También si se tiene que usar necesariamente el genitivo sajón Wal-Mart's parking lot. Gracias =)

Does your English sentence actually read: in relation to the Wal-Mart's parking lot?? – Lambie Mar 28 at 18:23
  • Yes, it does; in relation to the Wal-Mart's parking lot? I'm not sure I get that question. – cocteau Mar 28 at 21:47
  • @Lambie The question makes more sense to me as “Where were you in relation to the Wal-Mart's parking lot at the time that things started happening?” It sounds like something a witness to an incident would be asked, to which the answer might be “I was across the road”, or “in the adjacent lot” – Traveller Mar 29 at 8:58
  • @Traveller You may be right. Also, in relation to means: with regard to. Whereas here, they seem to want to say "in the Walmart parking lot". Not, with regard to the subject of the parking lot. Also, "at the time of" is merely when. Even in English. I just wonder if the sentence comes from some "official source" like a lawyer or DA, or if it doesn't. – Lambie Mar 29 at 13:56

Traduciría "at the time" como:

• al momento

si es seguido por una frase preposicional con "de":

• ¿Dónde estabas al momento de los incidentes en el estacionamiento de Wal-Mart?

En cambio, lo traduciría como:

• en el momento

si es seguido por una proposición relativa con "en que":

• ¿Dónde estabas en el momento en que se iniciaron / produjeron los incidentes en el estacionamiento de Wal-Mart?
  • 'en el momento en que se' es lógica y suena bien. – cocteau Mar 28 at 21:49
  • En el momento makes more sense. – FairOPShotgun Mar 30 at 1:10
  • @FairOPShotgun "al momento de" is also very usual with prepositional phrases, ej. al momento de su muerte (at the time of his death) – Gustavson Mar 30 at 12:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.