What is the difference between these?

1. congestión del tráfico.
  2. congestión de tráfico.

Thank you in advance!

• The title of the question should be more descriptive: what is "them"? – JoulSauron Jun 7 '13 at 12:58
  • I have edited the title for you, I hope you have learned for your next question :) – JoulSauron Jun 7 '13 at 13:02

The difference is which one is the object of the sentences, in the first one you say:

"La congestión del tráfico", where "traffic" is the object and it is "congested"

On the second one:

"La congestión de tráfico", where "the congested traffic" is the object like in the answer of @MikO: "Las congestiones de tráfico son un gran problema" but I also believe they can be used indistinctly.

Note: "Traffic jam" is more popular and less formal. If you meant this usage, a more adequate form in Spanish is "Embotellamiento"

• Both "embotellamiento" and "atasco" are used frequently in Spain. "Retención" (Hay retenciones en las entradas a Madrid) is also used, but it is more formal. "Congestión de tráfico" is less common. – Salvatorelab Jul 11 '13 at 7:56

I don't see any difference and I think both sentences are interchangeable.

If you want a slight difference, I'd say that the option 1 could be a bit more concrete than option 2, for example:

Hay una gran congestión del tráfico en la autopista A1 en estos momentos.

o

Las congestones de tráfico son un gran problema para los que trabajan en las grandes ciudades.

But as I said, this difference is a bit forced and I think both sentences are used indistinctly...

Note: I'd personally go for the option 1.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy