I have an audiobook (meant for beginners learning Spanish) where the speaker has an accent I don't recognize. I know that in Spain some z's and c's are pronounced like an English th (IPA: ⟨θ⟩). But in this audiobook even many s's sound that way to me. For example, he pronounces "está cansado" like "eθtá canθado", or "su sueño" like "θu θueño".

I also heard another word that sounded odd. "tortilla" was pronounced so that the ll had a distinct l (ell) and y sound. Sort of like: tor-til-ia.

Perhaps I should upload some audio snippets.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? To me it almost sounds like someone is trying to fake like they are from Spain and doing a bad job of it! If so, I will stop listening to this audiobook.

In Andalucía, ceceante speakers will use [θ] for both /s/ and /θ/. If you are not used to hearing [ʎ] because you're familiar with yeísta dialects (and thus tend to hear [ʝ] for ll), it may be an authentic sound. If you are used to the way a true [ʎ] sounds, then it may indeed be a bad attempt (as [lj] is the most common manifestation of [ʎ] by yeístas trying to mimic it). However, virtually all ceceantes are yeístas, so the combination on the surface sounds odd. – user0721090601 Jan 29 at 5:49
    Yes, this is called "ceceo" and is done in some parts of the south of Spain. More information in this question. – wimi Jan 29 at 7:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.