If I wanted to say in Spanish,

Sometimes I would have dreamed of living somewhere else.

Would I say:

1. A veces habría soñado con vivir en otro lugar cualquiera.
  2. Había soñado con vivir en otro lugar cualquiera.

Are they interchangeable, or is there a subtle difference?

I thought the conditional would be more suited to my meaning rather than the imperfect sounding more like "I had dreamed".

I have read previous posts but failed to find an answer.

I want to have standard-sounding Spanish, as for writing a letter in Spain.

I would have to say that I find the would have construction rather unnatural in English but it may work better in Spanish, I cannot say.
    – mdewey
    Jan 2 at 17:02
  • @mdewey I think that is because would have is used to talk about something that did not happen in the past learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/english-grammar-reference/…, which seems the opposite of what the OP is trying to convey here i.e. they did dream of living elsewhere
    – Traveller
    Jan 3 at 9:04

In Spanish, what we would more naturally say is:

• A veces me habría gustado vivir en cualquier otro lugar.

• A veces me hubiera gustado vivir en cualquier otro lugar.

The conditional perfect and the subjunctive past perfect are usually interchangeable to refer to a past hypothetical situation (the dream did not come true).

We would only use the verb "soñar" to refer to the moment when you dreamed of something, not to express a wish that did not materialize, at least in the mentioned tenses.

• A veces soñé con vivir en otro lugar. (Sometimes I dreamt of living somewhere else.)

• De chico soñaba con vivir en otro lugar. (As a child I would dream of living somewhere else.)

You would only use the indicative past perfect to refer to a real anterior past, for example:

• Siempre había soñado con vivir en otro lugar y, cuando lo logré, no lo podía creer. (I had always dreamt of living somewhere else and, when I did, I couldn't believe it.)
  • Thank you. Great answer and plenty to think about. It can be a little annoying how things do not neatly and easily transfer from 1 language to another. I suppose it keeps it interesting !
    – Bluelion7
    Jan 2 at 19:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.