The Oxford Spanish Dictionary tells me that halló la puerta abierta means "she found the door open". Is there an omitted "to be" between puerta and abierta, as in the English "she found the door to be open"? And how would you say "she found the open door" in Spanish?

Also in the dictionary: encontré la puerta cerrada means "I found the door shut".

In Spanish:

1. Halló la puerta abierta / cerrada.

is ambiguous, as it can mean:

1.a. He/She found the door open / closed (= He/She found that the door was open / closed / He/She found the door to be open/closed)

or

1.b. He/She found the open / closed door (= He/She found the door that was open / closed)

If the interpretation is 1.a., "abierta/cerrada" in sentence (1) is an object complement, that is, an attribute that refers to the direct object but does not form part of it. If the interpretation is 1.b., "abierta/cerrada" in sentence (1) modifies the head of the direct object, that is, "puerta". Unlike in interpretation 1.a., in interpretation 1.b. "abierta/cerrada" forms part of the direct object.

To disambiguate, the only possible way I can think of is to expand the structure:

1.a. Halló que la puerta estaba abierta/cerrada.

1.b. Halló la puerta que estaba abierta/cerrada.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.