in the TV show "From dusk till dawn", many (every?) Mexican characters call a Texas Ranger "pinche rinche", or sometime simply "rinche". I guess from the context that it's some low-key insult.

I understand "pinche" as, in this context, an offensive word, but I don't understand "rinche". Some dictionaries translate it like "corner" (which doesn't seem to make any sense), some other don't know the word at all (which seems to indicate it's slang).

I don't know if it's relevant, but everyone using this term in the show, is a criminal tied to a very specific cartel (which doesn't exists in the real life - it's a vampire's cartel).

Is it a word that is really used to designate a Ranger (or maybe a cop) ? Or is it a term specially imagined for this specific show ?

• I would agree that "pinche" is just another (pejorative) way of referring to law enforcers (like pacos in Chile or madera in Spain). A quick google search highlights that "rinche" is "A pejorative term used for Texas Rangers in Mexico. Border Guard. Literally brimming over." (see here). There are other examples, but I could not figure out the etymology. – Diego Oct 8 '20 at 13:24
  • The Urban Dictionary says that rinche is indeed a pejorative term used to refer to the Texas Rangers in Mexico. About etymology, I would wildly guess that "rinche" sounds quite similar to how the word "ranger" is pronounced in English. – wimi Oct 8 '20 at 13:25
  • Thanks, so it looks like a very specific term. I tend to agree that "rinche" sounds like "ranger". Urban Dictionary looks like a really valuable source for this kind of stuff, thank you for letting me know. If one of you would have the kindness to write that as an answer, i would upvote it. – thibsert Oct 8 '20 at 13:34
  • @thibsert I did not write it as an answer because I still think it is a quite wild guess and I do not have a source. (Urban Dictionary is a good source for English slang, not for Spanish, and it does not mention the etymology of this word). I prefer to wait a bit and see if someone has more information or finds a source. I am happy to have helped though, and welcome to the site! – wimi Oct 8 '20 at 13:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.