In English, City Attractions would donate interesting things to see in a city (such as museums, restaurants, city parks etc).

How would you express this in Spanish?

I think it would be:
Visita turística: Atracciones en la ciudad (Literally: Sightseeing: Attractions in the city)

However, I am not sure if "Atracciones" carries the same meaning. It is defined as such in SpanishD!ct, but I cannot find "Atracciones en la ciudad" occurring very often when searching Google.

I usually see it as "reclamos turísticos." – aris Aug 22 '20 at 2:47

I think that you're missing a part that usually goes with attraction: tourist.

According to the Wikipedia:

A tourist attraction is a place of interest where tourists visit, typically for its inherent or an exhibited natural or cultural value, historical significance, natural or built beauty, offering leisure and amusement.

As you can see in the Spanish version of the page, in Spanish we use the same pair: atracción turística. You can also use: punto de interés (turístico).

I think that "atracciones turísticas" is more used than "atracciones de la ciudad". If you are in a specific city, it's a bit redundant to include "de la ciudad". If you want to look for those special places in Google, just search: "[NAME OF THE CITY] atracciones turísticas".

In Spain, atracciones (plural) alone is mainly used for

1. f. Cada una de las instalaciones recreativas, como los carruseles, casetas de tiro al blanco, toboganes, etc., que se montan en la feria de una población y que, reunidas en un lugar estable, constituyen un parque de atracciones. U. m. en pl.

Being
ES parque de atracciones
EN theme park

a large permanent area for public entertainment, with entertaining activities and big machines to ride on or play games on, restaurants, etc., sometimes all connected with a single subject

Those big machines are called atracciones.

• In my heading, I did want to convey the sense of "the city". If I did visita turística: atracción turística de la ciudad would that work or would it sound too odd? I guess I could shorten it to atracción turística de la ciudad. I'd love to hear your thoughts! – big_smile Aug 21 '20 at 10:36
    @big_smile Yes, it sound odd because it's a bit redundant if you use "turística" twice. You can translate "City Sightseeing: Tourist Attractions" as "Itinerario por la ciudad: Monumentos y Puntos de Interés", for example. – RubioRic Aug 21 '20 at 10:49

Maybe "puntos de interés" or "puntos de interés turístico".

I just checked with a Peruvian friend who works in the tourism sector there, she said:

“Destino turístico” means a place or city, like Cusco or Machu Picchu

“Atracciones turísticas de la ciudad” means the different “sites or attractions” that a tourist would want to visit in a given city, for example, like in Lima you would want to go to Malecón de Miraflores.

She also cautioned, “un parque de atracciones/diversiones” means amusement parks, which are death traps in some Latin American countries! ☹

• Good answer. +1 – DGaleano Aug 26 '20 at 14:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.