Extranjerismos no adaptados refers to loanwords from other languages that keep their original spelling and pronunciation e.g. "el bagel", which pronounces the "g" as such, even though it is followed by an "e".

Heteronyms are words that is spelt the same, but have a different pronunciation and meaning. An example in English is "gill":

So, heteronyms (heterónimos) would occur if a word under "extranjerismos no adaptados" has the same spelling as a native Spanish word. So, I just wanted to know some examples of these words.

2 Answers 2

A common example of "extranjerismo no adaptado" is pizza, pronounced pitsa. Less common are such as garage, iceberg, élite, which, depending on the region, can be pronounced more or less like the original word (Argentina), or literally read as if they were Spanish words (Spain).

Some very slight heteronyms are created by the new graphical stress rules, which don't distinguish between diphthongs and hiatuses. For example, pie. /'pje/: foot, /pi'e/: I tweeted or chirped.

Given the prevalence of English in commerce, there are some "extranjerismos" which share their spelling with a native word, but they aren't generally used in common speech.

One example is "SALE". /sejl/ - sale, /'sale/ - he/she/it goes out.

I'll add some more if I think of them.

It seems there are very few, since most unadapted loanwords with plausible Spanish pronunciations (given their spelling) tend to be1 adapted as is e.g. English rail.

One example I was able to find:

Palabra Heterónimo nativo Extranjerismo no adaptado
adagio /aˈdaxjo/ /aˈdaʤo/ (Italian)

1. Adaptación y uso de los extranjerismos en la 23.ª edición del Diccionario de la lengua española

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.