Can anyone tell me if the phrase "Con pelos y señales" can be used to describe something like 'I painted the mural with great detail' in this way?

Lo pinté con pelos y señales.

Or it is only used in the context of telling a story, as in this example?

Lo conté con pelos y señales.

The expression "con pelos y señales" is normally used only with verbs of speech like contar, describir, explicar or mostrar.

Searching the Internet for good examples of "pintar con pelos y señales", I have found that it can be used when "pintar" is used meaning "to depict":

Pintar con pelos y señales: dar una descripción detallada. X «El fidedigno padre Valdecebro, | Que en discurrir historias de animales | Se calentó el cerebro, | Pintándolos con pelos y señales.» T. Iriarte, Poes. (Cl. C. 136. 12). (Source)

"Dibujar con pelos y señales" sounds a little better to me than "pintar con pelos y señales" when referring to a graphic representation.

| improve this answer | |
    I think I've never heard this expression with verbs other than describir and explicar, suggesting detail. I believe the idea is that you're describing the key identifying features of someone (the hair and "signs" like tatoos, scars and so on). – pablodf76 Jul 6 at 19:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.