I know 'y' and sometimes 'e' but is 'i' ever used and in what cases or countries? Is that conflation with Portuguese?

• No. But it is used in Catalan and Mirandese. Portuguese uses e always. – user0721090601 Jun 8 at 1:39
  • Thanks; that's pretty much what I thought and confirms pretty much my SusPicions About the people e-Mailing. – Guest Jun 8 at 1:56
    However, I find some references in old books that may suggest that it was used instead of y in Old Spanish. – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Jun 8 at 7:28
    fedorqui: it would have been quite rare, though. Although was the preferred form throughout the 15th and 16th century, when otherwise written out, it was fairly universally either e (15th century) or y (16th). The use of i would be a fairly extreme outlier, because one would actually expect j (the letters i and j still hadn't fully split their function yet) – user0721090601 Jun 8 at 15:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.