I hear the ll as ʝ in "Medellín" and ʎ in "mejilla".

It is on the first minute of these clips:

I don't hear [ʎ] in either of the videos. I hear a voiced fricative [ʝ] in "mejillas" (which tends to become an approximant [j]) for the first few speakers in the second video (who are... Colombian?).

For "Medellín", the speaker (which speaks standard European Spanish) alternates between a fricative that sounds very close to [ʒ] and its corresponding affricate [dʒ]. I believe this alternation is common, especially when the syllable is stressed.

The sound transcribed as ll is only rarely a true palatal lateral, and it varies a lot among dialects and even among individuals. Since there are no similar sounds in Spanish that could be mistaken for it, this variation often goes unnoticed.

| improve this answer | |

It would normally be a case of different speakers, different accents. But the fact that the first speaker is speaking with a Spanish (from Spain) accent suggests that this is a case of a foreign speaker pronouncing Medellín in the local manner.

I can't watch the videos, but I speculate that, if the speaker(s?) is from Colombia, they may have a native language other than Spanish in which the [ʎ] is used, so they have that phoneme when they speak Spanish (this can be observed in native speakers of Quechua, for example); however Medellín is pronounced /Mede'dʒin/ even by foreigners who know little to no Spanish -- it's just the usual, common (and local) pronunciation.

• El porcentaje de nativos colombianos cuyo idioma nativo NO es el español es 0.1% y no creo que entre esos haya muchos Youtubers. En Colombia no se ha hablado Quechua. Como ya dijo @pablodf76 el personaje del video que pronuncia Medellín es procedente de España. – DGaleano Apr 20 at 13:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.