Netflix associates tags with its TV series and movies, such as "sci-fi" and "comedy". Using the Spanish UI, I have seen one TV series (Toy Boy) tagged as "crudo". What does that word mean in this context? Looking at the possible meanings of crudo in the DLE , the closer I see is:

1. adj. Cruel, áspero, despiadado.

Is that the intended meaning here? If so, I guess that "harsh" or "rough" would be good translations to English?

I think you are right. Maybe you should update the question and give a couple examples of titles where you have seen that tag. When you hear "la cruda historia de ..." definitely has that meaning. It could also mean "foul language". See lenguaje crudo – Diego Apr 7 at 15:52
  • @Diego Thanks! I have added the name of the TV series in which I have seen that tag to my question – Alan Evangelista Apr 7 at 15:59
    If I browse through Netflix I see this series in Spain are tagged as Descarnada and De suspense. Changing the language to English shows 'Gritty'. The full link to the gender is netflix.com/browse/genre/100044, can you confirm is the one you have in your case? – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Apr 8 at 6:18
  • @fedorqui That's exactly the genre. However, I see "crudo" instead of "descarnada" here in Brazil, I can only guess that Netflix has different translations for Latin America and Spain. Anyway, the first definition of "descarnada" in DLE is "Dicho de una expresión o de un asunto: Crudo o desagradable, expuesto sin paliativos", so I guess both words are synonyms. – Alan Evangelista Apr 8 at 10:36

Yes, you are right about 'crudo' meaning 'cruel, áspero, despiadado', which is something like harsh or rough.

To confirm the meaning, see how this genre is named Gritty in Netflix's UI in English. And gritty's translation to Spanish is, for this context, 'crudo, rudo' (WordReference on Gritty).

In more literal contexts, 'crudo' can mean raw, as in 'Esta carne está cruda'.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.