Even my Mexican friends don't know how to say "pie pan" or "pie tin" in Spanish. Google isn't much help, either.

How can I effectively communicate about a pie pan?


Disposable, single-use pie pan, made of aluminum:

Aluminum pie pan

Multi-use metal pie pan:

Metal pie pan

Glass pie pan:

enter image description here

  • 2
    Could you add a picture so users can effectively identify it? Maybe it's easier than giving a translation, as it seems it doesn't work.
    – JoulSauron
    Feb 25, 2013 at 15:42

3 Answers 3


The first image that comes to my mind is the traditional apple pie dish, baked on top of an aluminum foil plate. It's a hard item to find in Spanish cuisine, but I would use molde para tartas o plato para tartas

  • 3
    +1. Looking around on a department store website, the closest approximations I can find to the Google image results for pie pan are simply labelled as molde. Feb 26, 2013 at 13:58

In Spain, pay doesn't exist. Tarta is a generic word used for everything that is a dessert that is round; specialized deserts exist, like bizchoco which is a cake with a hole - like pound cake. Apple pie for example may be tarta de manzana. Pie, like American pie, is not so common so there is not a specific word for it. The pan may be called molde para tartas because it basically means that you want to make a dessert in the shape of a pie.

  • Isn't bizcocho a synonym of coca, and void of implication about shape? Mar 4, 2013 at 15:41
  • @PeterTaylor, well, depending what you mean by "coca" :D But yes, bizcocho can be of any shape, it's a sponge cake.
    – JoulSauron
    Mar 4, 2013 at 17:09

I guess it depends a lot on the region, but what I've seen on Northern Mexico (more specifically Chihuahua) is "Base para Pay" (and yes usually pie here is "pay") or "Corteza para Pay"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.