The dictionary gives caso perdido; in English, additionally, basket case means a wounded soldier bereft of both legs and both arms. Is there a special Spanish word for this last one?

• Caso perdido, I wouldnot use that one for the context. I don't know the exact words that I would use but that one sounds a very impolite way of saying that there is no solution (medically speaking), but not specific for military – Iria Mar 6 '20 at 9:41
  • Not sure what you are asking, could you clarify? I am looking for a Spanish word for... always helps – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Mar 6 '20 at 10:25
  • This is some harsh military slang of WW1. Before it has become a general lost cause, it used to mean just that: an ultimately mutilated soldier. In Russian it's "самовар". The Spanish counterpart may be nonexistent, for all I know. – Alexey Orlov Mar 6 '20 at 11:33
  • please edit the post to provide such details. So to make it clear: you want to know if Spanish has a term for soldiers that have left both legs and arms? It would also be interesting to indicate your sources of "caso perdido", so people do not repeat them – fedorqui 'SO stop harming' Mar 6 '20 at 14:09
    I doubt that any English speakers, at least in the US, would recognize that definition of "basket case." – aris Mar 8 '20 at 15:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.