I have read and heard this idiomatic expression in several ways. Is there a more proper or correct idiomatic expression for this?

Which one is the correct idiomatic expression?

• echar indirectas
  • tirar indirectas
  • lanzar indirectas
  • In Colombia you will hear almost always echar, less often tirar and never lanzar – DGaleano Feb 21 at 13:31

Looking at Meer Meer's answer, this seems to be location dependent. In the north of Spain, I am more used to "lanzar indirectas", although "tirar indirectas" is also fine. "Echar" sounds less correct.

Google and Linguee seem to have a similar amount of results for "lanzar indirectas" and "tirar indirectas".

|improve this answer|||||
    I believe that might be right. Thanks for the feedback. – Meer Meer Feb 21 at 14:57
    It will probably be "Tirar indirectas" here in informal Buenos Aires, may be "lanzar", and almost sure it won't be "echar indirectas". So +1 to location-dependent. Qué difícil es hablar el español. – mgarciaisaia Feb 21 at 17:03

It depends of the country or context, but the correct option for all cases is "lanzar indirectas", because its not ambiguous and is more propper, Here some examples:

https://context.reverso.net/translation/spanish-english/lanzar+indirectas

In Medellin you will hear almost always echar, less often tirar and almost never lanzar. Looks like in Bogotá is the other way around. Is it? – DGaleano Feb 21 at 13:33
  • Yes, but "echar" sounds bad for international spanish, because that word means to be dismissed or fired from work – David Eduardo Feb 21 at 14:21
  • That's interesting to hear of. Thanks for the feedback! – Meer Meer Feb 21 at 14:58
  • Ok. I understand, but I don't think "international Spanish" exists. There are lots of examples of what you might think as international spanish that will get you in "trouble" in some places, i.e.: coger chaqueta, etc If you say *lanzar indirectas * in Medellín it will sound weird, however it will be understood. Anyway +1 😁 – DGaleano Feb 21 at 15:45
    A propósito echar no solo significa despedir. En el diccionario aparecen 48 acepciones.. La definición 24 es decir, proferir y la 25 menciona echar maldiciones que es muy similar a echar indirectas ver dle.rae.es/echar – DGaleano Feb 21 at 15:51

Echar and lanzar are both correct, but I think tirar indirectas is the correct expression and the one you will hear more often.

For example, a very common phrase you will hear among students:

¿No te fijaste? ¡Esa chica te estaba tirando la onda!

Means something like

Didn't you notice? That girl was all over you

in the sense of being passively trying to catch his attention.

I hope this answers your doubt.

• Thanks RubioRic for the corrections. I'll try to be more mindful of my writing. – Meer Meer Feb 21 at 14:55
  • Not sure where is Meer Meer from - in Buenos Aires you say tirando onda instead of tirando LA onda. Well - tirando LA onda, with emphasis on the LA, would mean they are tirando onda REAAAAAAALY much. – mgarciaisaia Feb 21 at 17:05
  • Guess it is a matter of regionalisms. "tirando onda" doesn't feel like a complete phrase over here. "tirando la onda" makes a lot more sense for us. But then again, Argentina might be different. Thanks for the feedback. – Meer Meer Feb 21 at 19:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.